CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

Several years ago I received a packet in the mail asking me to be the neighborhood volunteer to assist this society in fundraising. I agreed even though I don't like asking people for money. I guess I was chosen randomly by some computer. I never dreamed that someday I, too, would have a blood cancer myself. In 2008 I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a blood cancer that affects bones. Now, looking back, I realize that it was no coincidence. There are no coincidences with God.

Here is some of the information I would like to share with you:

Every 10 minutes a child or adult is expected to die from blood cancers. And leukemia remains the leading cause of death among children unfortunately.

You can get information for patient services, research updates, educational materials and more at www.LLS.org if you know someone with leukemia, lymphoma, or myeloma.

Recognize the potential signs and symptoms of leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma:
-unexplained anemia
-Excessive bleeding
-chronic fatigue
-recurrent fever
-unexplained back or bone pain
-pain in joints or bones
-recurrent infection
-swelling of lymph nodes
-weakness
-easy bruising

THE GOOD NEWS:
Overall survival rates for blood cancer patients have increased two to four fold over the past 40 years. I was told that if I had been diagnosed just 10 years ago I would have been lucky to live 6 months. So, I am eternally thankful for this organization's work and God's grace.

89% of children under 15 with the most common childhood leukemia--acute lymphocytic leukemia--will survive with treatment.

In the past decade, several important new drugs and new uses for existing drugs have greatly improved cure rates or remission duration for some patients.






No comments:

Post a Comment